Aug 27, 2008

Sorry, Handicapped only

I do feel sorry for the handicapped people, but the way the government tries to make everything handicapped accessible, just doesn't make sense.

Look at Walmart or any one of the big stores. You can dream, if you want to park anywhere close to the entrance since, all the spots are reserved for the handicapped in which, more than half are empty. I previously thought that only, the actual 'handicapped' get to park there, but no. Even old people get the privilege to do so.

I don't see what they are trying to prove here. Closer to the entrance means less walking for them? OK, in that case, how are they going to walk inside the city sized store? If they can walk inside the store, they can walk outside the store too. Nobody uses those electric carts or what ever they call them. Why? It goes so slow, you seem to travel back in time.

Have you seen the cars parked in these spaces? Nothing even remotely close to economical. If they can afford those cars, I am sure they can afford to get somebody to do the shopping for them. Or, why don't they simply use the Internet?

I strongly support that they eliminate these spaces or, have a maximum of two per store not 200. This will make them think twice before driving to the store. This in turn will avoid traffic snarls on the roads because no one will be driving at 10mph anymore. I think the old people need to take a driving test every other weekend. Lets think of the smaller stores like a Seven-Eleven. I again don't see the point since there are only three spaces in which two are for handicapped.

All restrooms in offices also need to have one stall for the handicapped. I am not complaining for two reasons. One, there are no handicapped people in my office and two, (so) I use them. They are the five star version of bathroom stalls. So much space you can put a full sized school bus in there, and still have room for the kids.

NOTE: Looks like I am getting a lot of flak for this post. What I would like to re-emphasize again is, I am not criticizing the availability of handicapped facilities, but the over availability and places where it just doesn't make sense.

No comments: