Aug 5, 2008

Socialising at Work - Not me

Monday morning. Did I depress you already? There are two things that I hate about Monday mornings. One, its a Monday morning. Two, I'll have to explain what I did over the weekend to my teammates, boss, CEO, security guard and the Janitor.

I, already am sleepy, bugged, annoyed and irritated to be at work in the first place and now I owe an explanation to the world about my sad and boring weekend? Most of the time I just make up stories just to make myself look good. Just to be courteous, I have to ask them about their weekend too. And they go on about what did they did with their kids, wife, mistress, lawn and all the boring stuff. And I am thinking, I don't give a damn of what you did. Just shut up already!

With the time I waste listening to their stories, I could have checked my hotmail, yahoo mail, gmail, school email, news, stock market, updated myself with the latest on the spat between Salman Khan and Shahrukh Khan or if I am in the mood, get some work done.

I am not paid to sit and make conversations with the people I work with. And my personal life is none of their business. You, would want to make conversations with your co-workers, certainly not me. The average age of our team is like 80 including me which, otherwise would be over 100. I certainly do not like to disturb people with non work related chit chat and vice versa. One of my colleague actually kept count of the number of days I did not say hi to him, which is at 32 right now. I am aiming for a 100.

Trust me I am so silent, that no one would notice if I die at my cube. Companies actually prefer that people socialize at work for your benefit. Absolute bull shit. Its for their benefit. They think if you get close with the people you work with, you wouldn't leave the company even though they pay peanuts. Its all understood. They need you as much as you need them.

Well there is no specific reason I am with my company, except that I wanted to get out of my previous one. If another company offered me a better pay, I'd be gone in the time my manager blinks. But, if you are not going to be a people person, don't expect a promotion anytime soon. My colleague who expects a hi everyday stands a better chance than me, since he talks more and works less, not the other way around.

This Monday is better, reason being - I'm working from home. And, I don't have to say or hear anything about the weekend, which gives me enough time to write this blog.

Oh swell, my colleague just messaged me asking about my weekend!

No comments: