Dec 31, 2008

Buying something used, in other words crap.

One can find almost anything on Ebay. From half burnt Corolla's to exotic Ferrari's, pins to million dollar homes and even used breast implants. One person claims to make you invisible for an unmentioned price. And, he also mentions that it is to be used only for moral purposes. If you wanted to do something moral, you don't have to be invisible in the first place. All these, justify my first line. 

Ebay is not exactly a free service. They get a cut out of every item that is sold through their website. Even the used breast implants. This is where Craigslist takes the cake. It started way back in 1995 when the founder used email chain to forward the events around San Fransisco. In the process a light bulb lit above his head and Craigslist was born.

The best thing about Craigslist is, there are no half naked women ads flashing on the sides of the screen, no pop-ups, no annoying music and no people jumping around the screen. Very simple. The only colors you can see is blue and white. 

My current TV has a screen which, seems smaller than the one I have on my cellphone. Especially when it sits about 20 feet away from the couch. So I decided to buy another one. My bank account had a three figure number, but was preceded by a "-" sign. Now that isn't a good sign. Thanks to that, I had to close the BestBuy website and, open up Craigslist instead.

Half the nutcases who post ads, do not have a picture in them. How do they expect me to buy something which I can't see? My guesses are, they might be Russians. Anything which looks like a good deal, is sold off immediately. I had to be quick. I almost got duped by a person selling a 40 inch plasma for $200 bucks. As Craigslist is free, half of them are fake. Buying something new doesn't involve any sort of headaches, but can cost more than twice as compared to a used one.

I eventually found one which seemed like a good deal. A 32 inch for $50. It took me an hour to get there, at non-peak traffic. The TV did look good for the price. The problem was that it weighed much more than me. Attempts to move it was similar to convincing Bush to get out of Iraq. The seller helped me load it into the car, after I dropped it twice.

By mid night the TV did reach my place. Events before the accomplishment: Four people had to carry the TV for a distance of 10 feet after making four pit stops, my cars seats were ripped, the TV was scratched, cracked on all sides and my spine was twisted and bent. Well, no pain no gain they say. Yes, the TV did not switch on.  

No comments: