If a person "wants" to moves out of Chicago, there could be only one reason why. The horrible horrible winter. Its not the snow but the windy part in the "Windy City", which is the major problem. In the summer, the wind is just amazing. Exact opposite in the winter.
It was good to have a pleasant 55F last Sunday with rains. It was not so pleasant the next day, when temperature dropped to -10F and all the water froze. Which includes the water which had settled on my car. It sealed my car all around. Even the door handle was stuck. I didn't wear my gloves, since I thought I was weather resistant. The end result was that my hands were stuck with the handle bar. Eventually I was free and I had to scrap my way into the car.
Mission accomplished? Not yet. Now the driveway was covered with ice. The car started with noises and groaning that I had never heard before. This is a ideal test for a used car. Wait till winter comes by and start it. If it does, it will survive. The windshield was covered with ice, so I switched on the defroster and put the heat on full blast. It did what it was supposed to do. Cracked the windshield into two.
I put the gear on reverse and hit the accelerator. The car wouldn't move. The wheels kept spinning in the same place. After a few attempts it did move. But in the front and, I hit the garbage can. Now the whole driveway was in a mess. I emptied a bucket full of hot salt water on the driveway. Yes, it was now a thicker layer of ice. Finally, I pushed my car out on the road. Then I parked it back, because the train I wanted to catch would have left, right about when my hands got stuck to the door handle.
You think you had it with ice? Wait for the snow. It was going to snow a couple of inches yesterday, during the day . I wanted to save the trouble of cleaning the car and cracking the windshield into four. So I ditched the car and opted for the public bus. Like a responsible green headed citizen, a jerk in other words. I slipped and fell on ice, twice on the way to the bus stop. The bus was late as I expected. The train came about two days later. I froze waiting in the cold. Even though I was wearing my gloves.
In the evening it was worse. By the time my brother came to pick me up at the station, I had walked home. He came home an hour later. I don't know what happens when it snows. The traffic is crazy. It just seems like people just put the car in park, when it snows. They don't move at all. The problem is, all the morons (or Russians) in Corolla's don't know how to drive. Part of the problem is the car itself. I have a piece of advice to people who can't drive in snow, "Stay Home!!!".
These nut cases are all over the road, if they move at all. They are always in the left lane, doing 0 mph. Why can't they move to the right lane or just pull over and kill themselves? That's with the under confident driver. Overconfident drivers also are a pain, who primarily are SUV driver's.
These guys think because they have all-wheel drive, they can go faster on snow. Wrong. Its just that, they have a better view compared to sedans. If you guys really want to test the all-wheel drive. I suggest that you ditch the paved roads, and drive the unpaved hills and farmlands around them. Isn't that why SUV's are made? And, no one will be in your way.
The only wise decision a sane person can make during a snowy day, is to stay home. Every other option will be a catastrophic failure. For the people who "want" to move from Chicago to a warmer place, it just snowed in California too.
No comments:
Post a Comment