Dec 12, 2008

Touch me not

"Noooo Way", is the response you get when you ask a car commuter (a typical Fatso aka American) to switch to public transport.  Even when gas prices went above $4, these people wouldn't nudge. They would rather quit their jobs, than take the bus or train.

Some of them say it is not practical for them, since it would take them longer to reach their destination. More often than not, the reason would be related to hygiene. One person I know says, it disgusts him to sit around people who cough, sneeze, snore, talk and make out. 

Well, the public transport is definitely not a mobile hospital. So the chances of you finding one who sneezes or coughs is very less, unless I am in it. These "Hygiene Conscious people" are generally the one's who give you a dirty stare if you sneeze. They say, "Bless you". But in their minds they are thinking, "Please God, I shouldn't catch his cold". There is no empathy, whatsoever. In India, people would feel sorry for you. But here, you are bigger threat than Osama.

They are also the one's who do not touch anything with their own hands. They use a tissue to touch anything which could remotely be used by another person. If they are in the restroom, they only use their feet. So they are always hopping around in one leg with the other kicking doors open, flushing, cleaning etc.

For those people who do. You'll need a tissue for another place too. Your office desk. It has more germs than a public restroom. Even more on a kitchen counter. They say, a pavement is much cleaner to eat out off.

I do understand that you can get some sort of weird disease like George Bush did, but what are the chances of that happening? People are so protective nowadays. They use a tissue for everything, wipe down the toilet seats before they use it, wash their clothes, take a shower etc. Wet wipes was introduced for babies. Now they have wet wipes for every imaginable purpose.

It is so bizarre, that people have zero resistance power. They catch a cold just by reading about it. I think people need to let go a little bit. Even their kids. The babies of the current generation are not allowed to touch anything unless it has been cleaned with Windex, 401, Chlorox and Mr Clean. Though they all do the same. It is OK to let them play in the mud, touch a untreated floor, kill a Russian or burn a Corolla. Yes, they might fall sick right away. But in the future, their body will know how to kill the germs if they dare enter the system.

I myself am a clean freak (so I think), but tend not to go overboard. I don't use a tissue unless I have to pick up a dead insect. I drink water from the tap even though I get filtered water. I use public transport. So go and grab the door without a glove or a tissue, if you dare.

No comments: