Last week I attended a show. The show was spectacular, but I wasn't enjoying it as much. Since I was sitting on, half a seat. Thanks to the obese person beside me, who was sitting on the other half, plus her seat. At least this show lasted only for two hours. What would happen if you are stuck in a long flight? Who would we blame here?
The Airline or the person who ordered the seats for the concert hall? As any normal business, they also want profit. So these people try and cram in a million seats into a 747, with a size just enough for an average person. The average person whom they are looking at, might have been born before Jesus. So the seats are always just enough for one of your feet. Now as we know, we are getting bigger and larger (catching up with the Americans) with each generation. So the Airline, need to plan accordingly.
Now since 90% of America is fat, they need to have special assigned seats for them which are a tad bit wider or just bump them up to Business class if possible. But the Airlines put up a smug face and tell them to buy two coach tickets instead.
The fat person? Sometimes its just eating habits or, Medical reasons which make people fat. If its the former, I would recommend the overly healthy people to fly First class or buy two coach tickets. If they can't afford it, they should cancel their trip or just walk it. It might actually help them to loose weight. Jokes apart. I think the normal sized people are short changed here. They have to adjust, for something which is not their fault at all.
And I am aware that it is not easy to reduce weight in a jiffy. The overweight person also has his own problems. He is nowhere close to comfortable in the seat. And the stares people give them is just plain rude. I can see what they might be going through.
I read this, about one overweight person. He takes flights during non-peak hours, so the staff can assign two seats for him. If he has to take a crowded flight, then he buys two tickets. This way, he is also comfortable and so is the person next to you. Why should he buy two tickets you may ask? If you have any other better suggestions, please comment.
The Airlines are in a sticky situation too. They just can't call all the Americans aside, and tell him to buy another ticket or, to board in the cargo area. That would be discrimination. So all the Americans will be suing them in return (like they always do). So the dream of the Airlines trying to sneak in another fees (like a fat fees), will not become reality.
Like every place is Handicap compatible, it should be the same case for overweight people too. I am not trying to say overweight people are handicapped. But if they can't fit in a normal seat and needs something more, they need a separate section for them or give them special privileges. No overweight person can buy a Corolla or Kia Rio, unless all the four micro seats are merged into one small one. Its actually a blessing in disguise if they can't buy it.
Regardless if you are thin or fat. We need to be compassionate about each other. And, not think it is their fault for being fat or thin. I hope Airlines will soon adopt a new policy, or just buy new bigger seats.
No comments:
Post a Comment