Jan 5, 2009

Another New Year

Initially I wasn't going to check the history of New Year's, as it was pretty obvious. But I did. It said, what I and you would expect, except that it was March which marked the beginning of a new year before. Later some Romans wrapped in dirty white cloth's, decided to change it.

Almost every person celebrates this occasion except for some Muslims. They are against any celebrations of any sort, apart from their religions. Even their Birthday's, for heaven's sake. Mind you, I am only talking about the one's who are roaming around with 10 feet long beards. For them, a New Year is like a new day, or a new month. The only change according to them, is the date.

Thanks to the popularity, everyone wants to party. So all the restaurants, clubs, etc charge an arm per person. Above that, you have to got to stand in line for clubs, outside in the -4500F weather. No thank you. I'd rather have my arm and be in a normal 70F place.

And, the traffic. Cars are backed up all the way to my door. A lot of people spend their new years, in their respective cars. From what I have seen, Times Square is a place to be, at least for one new years celebration. Nobody survives to celebrate New Year's after that. The crowd is crazy beyond words. It looks like, the whole world except me, decided to be there.

Fireworks are amazing too. Every year they try to show something new. Recently I had seen fireworks in the shape of a heart. It did come out good. Only a few times did it show up upside-down. Which reminded me of our backsides.

Resolutions come along with the New Years package. Everyone decides to become good doers, focused, stop smoking or drinking, loose weight, stop fighting with their significant others, stop their extra-marital affairs, stop watching porn and become more religious, stop hurting their siblings, stop burning Corolla's etc. It is possible no doubt. 

My gym was filled with people, waiting in line for the equipment on Jan 2nd. The next day it was filled with dust, and the reception guy was falling asleep. It just doesn't work. It lasts for a day, which is why I don't have any. Every time people ask me my resolution. I say, I am still following the one I made five years back. Which is, no to have a resolution at all. If you have a resolution and have stuck to it, kudos to you. According to me, you don't need a New Year to make a good choice. 

This years awaits a lot of hopes. The economy should hopefully have a jump start, Chrysler's CEO should use the bailout money for the company and not for his private jet, Paris Hilton getting a life, Indian reality shows cutting all the drama crap, Amitabh Bachan not acting in every movie, etc. As of now, the stocks are upside down. Lets all hope it doesn't stay that way.

Wishing all the readers a Very Happy Year. Even to the Russians and the Toyota Corolla owners. 

2 comments:

Arjun said...

I think the best new year resolution for you could be is to stop pulling the Russians and the Toyota COrolla owners. I am sure you would break that resolution in a minute by writing another post.Waiting to see more posts this year 2009. Happy New Year buddy..

J said...

Thats too hard for me. No fun, if I can't bitch about them :). Happy new year to u too..