Jan 26, 2009

Heading out to the Gym?

Until a century back, everyone was fit. All men had eight pack abs and all the women were size zero. There were no washing machines, no lifts, no lazy boy sofa's, no Corolla's etc. With all the physical activity involved in day to day work, there was nothing called a Gym. 

In today's world the only physical activity in an office, is typing and at home, is using the remote. Now we have stronger fingers than ever before. But every other part is as fragile as Jello. Doctors are saying the eight packs have disappeared and combined into one single moon sized pack. And we will all die by the time we hit 40. That's about the same time the prehistoric human beings died too. Hence we need to hit the gym if we you want to make use of your retirement funds. So the Gym made a international debut.

Like everyone says, "Who has the time for it?". Lets look at it. We are at work for eight hours, two hours to go and come. one hour in the morning to get ready, eight hours of sleep, one hour in gym, one hour in commute to and from the gym and two hours of American idol. That leaves us with one hour to cook, clean, do laundry, catch up with friends, blog, check bollywood gossip, etc. 

I decided to ditch everything except checking bollywood gossip to free up some time. The gym is another predator waiting for its prey. They will want you to sign a two year contract. Even my H1 visa isn't valid for that long. You can't break the contract even if you die. They'll raid your 401K.

At the gym you'll find only two kinds of people. The pro who has a body like Amir Khan and, the beginner who is a typical fat bloke and has no clue on how to hold a dumbbell. None in between. I have been going to the gym for over two years and see no visible difference. These are what I have noticed.

Everyone spends more time looking at the mirror than working out. Even more time looking at the fit women and men, wondering what on earth they do to look like that. I guess the answer would be: Working out. For this reason I don't carry my glasses which has one drawback. I am blind as a bat and keep running into the mirror, walls and people.   

What I definitely can't digest is the attire our fellow desi decides to wear. I saw one guy wearing a formal full hand shirt with formal trousers and slip on's. Another wearing slippers. Women in Salwars. One with neatly combed hair, with a hair clip, bindi, a trendy watch, bangles, earings, a top which you wouldn't wear to a gym, etc. She takes the cake. I forgot to mention the Ipod she got. I haven't seen anyone from other countries dress this weird. Actually I haven't seen a Russian till now, so this case would be open.

One can always see people giving their best on the abs equipment. Trying to get the dream eight pack abs. They unfortunately forget about the two tons of fat which is in front of it. Just like Bush who forgot about our economy.

As of now I am just waiting for January to end, since all the crowds would then vanish. Just the ones who decided "To go to gym" as their New Year resolution. 

2 comments:

Rekha said...

Excellent!!!i burnt some calories Laughing :)

J said...

haha .. thanks :o)