Jan 19, 2009

Remove your Sunglasses, will you?

These days people don't step out of the house without having a pair sun glasses with them. Eye wear has become like footwear, you need one during the day. Well there are some morons who think its fashionable to wear one during the night too. Until they drive their Kia's or Corolla's into a tree or walk right into a electric pole.

In 1936 polarized glasses were first introduced. Movie stars liked wearing them, since it made them look really good. Also, made us wonder where they were really looking. For all you know they might be talking to a reporter, but actually look at a pretty girl/guy behind him. 

Later it became a fashion accessory and spread like wild fire. I am sure if you have one, you can't think of stepping out in the sun without wearing them. I agree, it protects your eyes. But I haven't heard of anybody loosing their eye sight if they didn't wear one. People dying at 90 also have some eyesight. Some wear convex type corrective lenses. Which means the lens will collect all the rays from the whole surface and direct it into the eye. And, human civilization during the stone age or Ice age didn't have Ray Ban to wear. All of them survived.

So am I against people wearing sun glasses? No, but against people wear for inappropriate reasons. For the record, I do not wear sunglasses. Though I'd die to wear one. I would be blind if I wore it, as I wear the clear glass concave one's. In other words, prescription glasses. Contact lens are a pain. I like to wear sunglasses for another reason. It would cover half of my ugly face.

I have seen so many interviews, where the person being interviewed is wearing shades. Seeing that makes me want to hire a Russian for $0.99 to finish him off with a pencil. There is no Sun in the studio, so why the shades, nutcase? May be, the lights are bright. But as a viewer I get the image that the person is a show off, too much attitude, air etc. 

Last week at the golden globe awards, I saw Rahman wear one. When none of the others did. A person with his sort of talent can even wear a frock and not think its weird. But the personality of a person, is what people can like the most. Rahman is not like Paris Hilton, it just didn't suit him. Another thing which people forget is, when you are making eye contact with a person not wearing shades, you better remove yours too. It's a matter of trust.

I did get my prescription glasses tinted to get around the problem. But then, people thought I was blind.

4 comments:

sinusoidally said...

I agree but I disagree. Sunglasses are not just to "protect your eyes", for some people it is a fashion statement. If they want to make a fashion statement then whatever you know? Sometimes I have patients who are wearing sunglasses when I see them which irks me to no end and more often than not I will ask them to take it off very politely.

J said...

I agree with your comment. Its more of a fashion statement nowadays with an icing of eye care :)

Razil said...

jas....u can still go for sunglasses...this may sound strange, yet worth tryin...
get the model u like n ask them to set a new pair of lens of the color u prefer with the prescribed power....check it out !

J said...

That option is there. But not for all styles. escpecially the one's which have only big piece of glass.