Jan 13, 2009

Slumdawg Millionaire

Almost every new movie I see, is during its first weekend. If I don't see it then, I don't see it at all. Which is why I haven't seen Bombay, DDLJ, Dil to Pagal Hai, HAHK, etc till now. I generally want to watch the movies I miss, but after the first week I loose interest in them thanks to the newer ones. This time it was different. I finally got to see Slumdog Millionaire last weekend. On a very good pirated print.

Plans of watching it failed every weekend, and during the days in between. I do not normally blog about movies unless they are the worst ever made or the best. Kidnap belongs to the former and Slumdog to the latter. I heard Minnisha Lamba still hasn't taken off her white bikini. And, is roaming around the streets of Bombay to get another offer. Sanjay Dutt mean while, is rejecting all offers which involves any kissing scenes. 

Slumdog Millionaire is about how a teenage boy wins the game show to get his girls attention. All the questions asked, had to do something or the other with his life, from which he could answer them all. The kids in the movie are no child actors, but are actually from the slums itself. The director has projected the life of thousands who still live under the poverty line and the hardships faced by them. The camera and the tone used, is in sync with the scene. There is one scene which will make you cringe. Like you have just seen hell. If you have seen it, you will know what I am talking about.

Anil Kapoor is the jacka** of the third degree. He did perform well. Its not a long movie, but is very gripping. And it was fun hearing the swear words, without muting the entire soundtrack behind it. The music was nothing short of spectacular. Rahman has done it again. Only this time the whole world is aware. 

The way thugs use kids to beg and earn money, teen girls for prostitution, filling tap water in mineral water bottles, majority of the city being in slums, dons ruling everywhere, cops torture and ignoring riots. All these make Bombay, all the more inviting. I know its now called Mumbai, but I am not going to change just because some stupid politician wants to make an impression on people. Changing the name does nothing, apart from a lot of returned mail. Changing the city is what people want.

At the end of the movie, you feel for the characters and fall in love with the movie. The movie won four Golden Globe awards. If it doesn't win any Oscars, the aging jury must be changed.

No comments: