Jan 20, 2009

Car Guru takes a blow

Like any guy, I am a car fanatic. But, I would rate myself as extreme. My dream job would be to test cars and I will make sure to trash car's like Kia Rio's and Corolla's.

My first toy was a car, and even now I can keep myself busy for a long time with one. I fancied anything with wheels in the house. I played with the TV trolley, baby prams (with my baby sister in it), vacuum cleaners, etc. I used to talk about cars so much that my mom got sick and tired of it. I did a spectacular job by convincing my mom NOT to buy a Corolla. She bought a Honda Civic. At least its a better grade of crappy Japanese cars. 

I bought every Car mag which sells. Tried to know in and out about cars. So much that my uncles who were 30 years elder to me, asked my opinion of cars they were thinking to buy. Just by looking at the head lights or tail lights, I could find out the make/model/year of the car. After I moved to Chicago for my Masters, I taught many people how to drive. In fact, at one point it was my part time job.

Anyone who wanted to buy a used car took me along to approve it, or consulted me for one. Out of all the cars I recommended, only two were a mistake. Out of which, one was a Corolla and another was a Sonata. So it isn't my fault at all. Why I recommended a Corolla? I didn't like that person very much. 

The "Car Guru" degree which I had earned over time, came to a crashing end last week. Thanks to Chicago's -30F temperature, one of my friends car did not start. She said the battery ran down. I took my jump start cable and left to where she was. The lights did switch one, but the car wouldn't start. So I assured her it wasn't the battery, but the alternator. 

Though she wanted me try jump starting, I said it was a waste of time. I dropped her home since the tow truck said it will take them a decade to be there. Well after two days the tow guy came and checked the car. He said it was the battery.

There. I admit I had done a major blunder. My friend tore my degree into bits. At that moment I wanted to bury my head under the ground like a flamingo. What I had learnt is never to be too sure of anything. Even though you might be a pro, there is a chance you might be wrong. Bush has proved it time to time. 

Well, that same friend was the one who had the Sonata before.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder whose sonata that was? LOL ... yeah its all your mistake... hahaha..

And I wonder who made you feel like shit when you thought the alternator was blown out :) LOL...

I lost sleep just thinking if it is under warranty or not.. Hahaha

J said...

haha... no prizes for guessing that...

haha... Guess who's Corolla I was talking about... Juju's