Jan 21, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire goes to the dogs

Usually I don't write on Wednesday's, so as to take a break from blogging. I don't want to get sick of what I like doing and, to save you guys from reading more of my crap. For one day, I try not to think about what I should be writing about and new ways to make fun of Corolla's, Russians and Bush. And its not easy coming up with content either. I am on Wikipedia half the time trying to gather information to justify my stupid claims. Also, on this day I can devote myself completely to my paying job.

So what made me write on my day off? When Slumdog Millionaire released, I was concerned that it did not release at the same time. It took more than a month. But the crappy James Bond flick released in India even before it did in the US. That wasn't a good idea. The pirated copy of it reached my hard drive before it hit the theatres here. 

Now that everyone has praised the movie more than their kids and. it had won a dozen of Golden Globes, the critics were waiting with their pens ready. But they had welcomed the movie with open arms too. Sadly the public have begun to tear the movie apart. Some are saying that the movie would not have received so much attention if it weren't for a non-Indian director. Partly true. If it were a Indian director, chances are, there would have been a song sequence in the studio of "Who wants to be a millionaire?". It would have been commercialized because of the pressure from the Indian production companies. That's why Sixth Sense was a big hit. 

Another accusation is that the movie was that, it was glorifying Indian poverty. If a movie has the name 'Slumdog', would you expect them to show a bout Paris Hilton? They aren't showing something non-existent either. A staggering 275 million people live under the poverty line in India today, which is more than 25%. I think with that figure, one in four movies can be made about poverty.

Today someone has filed a case against Anil Kapoor and Rahman in reference to the "dog" part in the name "Slumdog". According to him its a violation of human rights against the Slum people. Both didn't have to do anything with selecting the movies name. One acted and the other created music for it. Now why did he name only both of them? That person says, there were the popular one's among the rest. What a way thank the person who got India's first Golden Globe.

Rab ne Bana di Jodi was released with no fun fare. People were confused whether the movie was a hit or a flop. On Monday they declared, they had made over 180 crores which is just a whisker away from Ghajini. The next day a guy files a case saying it was a copy of his imagination.

I am going to write a petition to enact a law, which jails the people who file such stupid cases. And it would be up to me to decide which one's are stupid. I think these people are jobless, which is why they have the time to go the court to begin with.

Anytime there is something good, there's always a ton of people waiting to slam it to the ground. To be honest I make fun of anything and everything in my posts. But I am not going around suing Toyota for making the cars and, God for Bush. Its just for entertainment. People, lets not be pessimistic about things and learn to appreciate them for what they are.

There was no attack on US since 9/11, and the credit would go to Bush. Russians, I thank you for the pencil. Corolla's are in fact good economical cars, which is why they are still selling millions of it. But..

2 comments:

sinusoidally said...

yeah agree on the stupidity of people with the slumdog. cant believe some of them have filed cases, is it really true. should make it to the stupid news.

J said...

Yeah, sadly they are true. I read about them this morning.