Jan 30, 2009

She had Twins?

Identical twins have always amazed me. And deep inside of me I wish I have twins too. Whenever I see twins, it just seems so hard to believe that two people could look exactly the same. My brain actually freezes for a bit when I see one. I am sorry, two. Especially, when I am not drunk.

During my undergrad, there were these twins who were in the same year, department and at times, wore the same clothes too. One day in the bus, I saw one of them. Turned to the other side, and saw the other one. And I had convinced myself, that I was loosing it. Or, I was seeing dead people. Only later did I know the truth. A month later I saw the third one. That one was apparently their mother. I mean how can all three look exactly the same. The only difference was that their mom was wearing a sari. Not even the age. Either the mom looked very young or the daughters looked too old. The father looked like an outsider. It seemed like an asexual reproduction. 

There is a lot cost savings in twins. You pay once to the hospital and deliver two kids. You can make proper use of 'Buy one, get one free" deals. You can get similar discounts at colleges and universities. Just now my Desi mentality woke up and suggested to get admission for one kid, and keep alternating between the twins on who goes to school. If they are pulled over for speeding, the cop can never prove who was driving. I do really feel for the spouses of twins. They will always have their doubts.

Taking care of baby twins can be a night mare. If one is sick, you'll definitely take the other one to the doctor. But eventually the baby will feel good again since you'll give medicine to the one you left at home. You will have no idea which one was fed, which one was not. Which one had a shower, which one did not. Which is the elder one. Its better not to name them until you make an identification mark on them. Or else in the end, both will respond to both the names.

Twins is one thing. I have seen cases where two brothers or sisters look alike. Like for instance, me and brother. For some reason people think both of us look alike. I for heavens sake, can't seem to agree at all. Firstly, he is so thin that one can't see him if he stands sideways. I am wider on the side profile than on face front, thanks to my happy tummy. And our faces look "Different". One day my brother visited me. My roommate thought it was me and paid him the rent. My brother thought he was being generous. One of my friends here has a look alike which I did not know of. One day she was in town and I asked if her sister knew about her boyfriend. She said, "Well, now I do!".

Recently there was this news about a women delivering octuplets. It was a bit of surprise since they were ONLY expecting seven. Now that sort of surprise is what no one wants. Especially when you already have six kids back home. Fourteen kids in all. FOURTEEN KIDS? She would have more kids at home than a daycare. She must have been the size of Cleveland, when she was pregnant. 

To support over a dozen kids, you better be making more than $200K to at least buy stuff from Walmart. And have a house with 2000 rooms in it. No. Her family had filed for bankruptcy before. There you go, 14 kids lives down the drain. I am sure in about 10 years, all those kids will be selling drugs.

I can't imagine that families life for a couple of years. She has to feed, clean, put the kids to sleep 24x7. They'll use over 3 gallons of milk just for breakfast and will need at least 4 refrigerator's. Or she will end up going for groceries every hour. I don't even want to get to the cooking part. I guess she owns a Corolla or must be a Russian. I think both. Which sane person would plan to expand, an already over sized family? She needs to be separated from her husband to avoid getting pregnant any further.

Twins for me? No, I think one at a time is good enough. 

4 comments:

SaM said...

my dear friend who are these "so called" twins that you are referring to during your under grad days?? and they had a triplet in their mom? hmmm well .....i smell somethin here!

J said...

You know who I am talking about. Their mom used to come in a Tata Indica. Can you smell it now? :)

Arjun said...

i remember a comment.. avungaa appan xerox shop vechirukaan polaa..but i totally forgot and i cant recollect thir faces.. i think they looked pure WHITE...

J said...

yeah..... exactly.... try and remind anand about it :)