Sep 9, 2008

Thank You notes? .. No thank you

Its just past noon and I thought I'll count how many thank you's I've said in the past four hours. There were twelve doors, I had to go through to get to my desk. So I had to thank the people who were holding the door for me. Same goes for the elevator. That's thirteen in half hour. I sent about twenty emails, so I had to end with a "Thanks" in all of them. Now I had to make a few calls and was transferred to a few hundred customer reps and, thanked each and every one of them.

In the end I just gave up, since there were too many to keep count of. I did get thanked too, twice by all the 100 customer rep's I spoke to, but not at the doors since I never saw who was behind me and slammed the door on their face. I am sorry. I was too sleepy to focus. My manager thanked me too, for getting my task done today. But why, isn't that why I am being paid for?

Saying thank you is not a bad thing at all. But just observing on how its every alternate word that comes out of our mouth, makes you dumb struck. Its certainly feels good to be thanked, no doubt. But its just, when its obligation, its stupid. Employees want their work to be appreciated. Like I said before, that's why they aren't fired till now and they should be thankful for that.

The other day I attended one of my friends party, and a couple of weeks later I received a thank you note. Not a photocopied, but a hand written note. I really really appreciate the effort of sending me one, and everyone else a note. But the thought of me sending one if I have a party, gives me the creeps. That's why, I have never hosted one.

Common on. They took the pains of hosting one, inviting the people they like and don't like. Cook or order the food. Clean up and set up the place. Dress up. Once all of us morons arrive, make us comfortable, offer food and drinks and make a conversation with everybody. Then once we are done, give us a thank you gift, clean up the entire place and take the next day off, thanks to the mess we made. After all this, send a written thank you note.

All I did was drive 10 miles and show up with a $10 Hershey's gift pack. Ate my heart out, bitch about how pathetic the food was, other people's clothes and how they were bitching. If its anybody who needs to write a thank you note, its me. Which I will do so, once I get back home. They did all the hard work, unless you flew twenty plus hours for that occasion which, would be the case only if you had planned a holiday around the same time.

Conclusion? Write a thank you note if you are attending a party and don't expect one if you are attending mine.

"Thank You" for reading this post!

No comments: