My day starts off with the alarm on the cellphone, electric toothbrush, shaver, microwave, car loaded with processors more powerful than the engine itself, work on my computer and ends with a motorized bed which sets the firmness and angle.
It is indeed an amazing progress that human kind has made from what it was a hundred years back. But the problem is, are we too dependent on it? Imagine a day with out power, telephone and Internet. The human race would just cease to exist.
Ten years back, I could remember every one's telephone number like you can never imagine. I was like a walking phone book. After I got a cellphone, it became the exact reverse. Forget about others numbers, I did not know mine. I can justify saying, I don't call myself. I could not even remember peoples names. I had to match up their faces (if I could recollect those) in my phone to find the names.
I need reminders for birthdays, appointments, payments, almost anything and everything. Its not that we can't survive now, but we don't bother since its easier not to. If any of us lost our cellphone, I can say that you lost all the friends you made since you lost the previous cellphone. Cellphone is like part of our body. Even a new born wants one.
My dad never needs alarms, because he just senses he has to wake up when its 7:00 am, and that too, on the dot. Whereas I would sleep to my death, if I forgot to set it.
The other day, I saw a pen and a paper. It struck me that we used last, probably in the eighties. If I need to jot down a number, I use my cellphone. Notes, I use a laptop. Its actually better since, my handwriting looks like Chinese letters anyways.
I can safely say that kids of the current generation do not need to be taught how to write. They are not going to use it anyways. All the assignments, tests are going to be printed out in a handwritten font.
Thanks to cars, the farthest distance I can walk is to my garage, before I pass out. Same goes to elevators and escalators. I sweat if I climb five stairs, in one shot. The best exercise I think I do is flipping channels using the remote, and I am tired by the time I cross 50 channels.
The worst is, you need some stupid card to prove you are, who you really are. That much is dependence on technology. If I burnt all my IDs and personal documents, I do not exist anymore, even though I am still breathing.
No comments:
Post a Comment