BRUTALITY FACTOR: Low
If something is called latest fashion anywhere in the world, it is the latest from US or Europe. Everybody seems to just blindly follow what they do, and feel good about it. Its more Europe, since all the big design houses are from there.
Everyone knows Prada, Armani, Calvin Klein etc. Even if its the most weirdest thing I have seen, I just convince myself it is good, thanks to the designer tag attached to it. Western clothes are generally worn everywhere around the world. They are more common than the countries own clothes, which are reserved only for special occasions. If our culture had cool enough or practical clothes, the world would be following us too.
Is it because the British tried to conquer even nook and corner of the world so, people got used to their clothes? Or is it because the US have nothing to call their own, apart from the Cow boy hats (which I think is more Mexican) so, they started off with shirts and trousers? Could be. The US's identity are only the native Indians, who don't exist anymore anyways.
What is with Football/Baseball/Basketball fans wearing the players jersey's in public? One of my friends mom thought that, another friend of ours was a player since he was wearing one. We don't need to know that you are a fan of a sport. Only one in a million is not. Don't wear a Michael Jordan jersey, unless you play Basket Ball and you are Jordan.
Fashion always seems to oscillate between short/tight to loose/long. Looking at hairstyle. Right now, Bollywood stars seem to be sporting a pony tail (which looks ridiculous) or long hair. A while back, short was the in thing. A long while back, again long was in. Look at That 70's show.
Clothes right now are tight and short, same as it was when my dad was in his twenties. I guess I don't need to shop, if I want to wear his clothes. Teenage girls wear clothes which the previous generation women would think twice to do so.
Same case for shades. The in-thing right now are the shades which cover half my face. No wonder I look good in them. You can see Jackie wear similar Shade's in That 70's Show.
The best thing that the US gave to the world is Jeans. Nothing else has even come close to it. Can you imagine a world without jeans? I can't. You can own one of it, and repeat it endlessly without any guilt (at least for the guys). Its a one stop solution for all shirts/T-shirts.
Ultimately, it is not a bad thing that everyone tries to follow the western culture. We just have to be sensible enough to pick the right one's.
No comments:
Post a Comment