Sep 2, 2008

Ramadan - Oh no!

My head and stomach aches as I write this, which is a result of not eating for the past 8 hrs. Yes, the fasting month has started. As much as I want to, I can't avoid it either. And worst, its summer. So I'll go have to fifteen plus hours straight, with no food or water.

For the people who do fast, undergo this massive change during this month. Religion becomes their priority. The perverts turn into monks, and back to perverts at the end of the month. I simply cannot agree with this. If a person is religious, he will continue to be so regardless if its the holy month or not. Every religion has this so called holy month or holy set of days.

The benefits are that, I don't have to pack lunch. Dinner is not a problem, as I will be at the mosque every single day for the free food they offer to break the fast. Well, it ends right about there. Regrets? I can't go to the gym anymore since I might die on the way there. Even if I do make it with some great luck, I'm sure I'll die during my warm-up. By the end of the month, I'll loose all the muscle I gained since last years ramadan. So, my dream of looking like Salman Khan will remain a dream.

There is nothing worse than wanting something, when you know you can't have it. Which is definitely food, and that too hoards of it. I try not to get within 5 feet of anybody, since if I happen to open my mouth, they would have to cover their nose. During this time, I don't use any bug sprays as one blow of air from me will kill bugs instantaneously

The first day is the hardest, since your hand sub consciously goes into a cookie box to grab a bite, and then you realise you can't have it. Religion says we fast to go through what the poor people go through everyday. Disagree again, since I know I am going to some bryani at the end of the day which the poor people don't.

This is a month of revisiting your faith and I generally claim to stay loyal. But somehow, I forget all about this on the 31st day. All in all, I think it does teach me self control and patience. It is definitely painful to go through this month, and people are amazed on how we do it. Well, so am I.

No comments: