Nov 3, 2008

Happy Halloween. Happy what again?

BRUTALITY FACTOR: Low

This is the time of the year when people actually spend time, energy, money and take a few lives to make their brand new place look like a century old haunted house. Halloween is something that I quite don't understand.

According to Wikipedia, this tradition had started way back where, people stocked their supplies in the end of the harvest season. Kill livestock and store it for the winter. Well, why again? They can last till or past winter. You can kill them then. So to ward off the evil spirits they burnt the bones of the livestock, etc which was again a superstition.

Times have changed. You can live in the Arctic pole, and have a temperature of positive 75F in the room and be in Dubai, and can still ski. Refrigerators have been invented so you can store food for a couple of winters. But Halloween still remains. Thank god, there is no more slaughter.

People take a lot of effort to look like creeps. Some of them don't realize they naturally are. Kids become Superman's and Spider man's. Some set up their house basements to scare people. Getting scared is not a pleasure of any sort, so why people want to get scared goes beyond my imagination. If these people really want to get scared, then they should spend a night in the middle of a real graveyard or probably jump off a plane or something. Now that. Is scary.

I get scared like you can never imagine, so I hope that this day passes by real soon. The TV plays all sorts of horror movies, so watching TV for this week is out of scope. The other day I saw a house where this guy actually made his front yard look like a graveyard with about a 100 head stones. It made his half a million house look very very appealing. 

Next is the sugar overload. You see candies everywhere. In your co workers cubes, in stations, on the roads etc. Since I have zero control, I end up eating every one of them except the one's which have to do anything with peanut butter. Why America is obsessed with peanut butter? I will deal with it in a seperate post.

Now, you have to stock your place with candies because your neighbors kids will come asking for some. Trick or treat, they say. If I say trick, they don't agree. They just want the candies. One of my friends, who was unaware of this tradition, thought the kids were offering him candies, and took some. The kids parents thought he was making a move on the kids, and knocked him out cold.

Now, the Halloween parties. Unlike normal, you are supposed to be somebody else. Give a bottle of vodka, and I can do it without doubt. They didn't. So I had to buy a costume. I am not creative enough to make up something of what I have, so I ended up buying a Mask of Zorro costume for about $50 bucks. The worst part? No one knew who I was even though I drew a Z in the air. Superman has a S. Spider man has a spider. Batman has a bat. Zorro sadly, nothing. What a waste of money.

Its a even bigger waste because you can never wear them again. Not even if the party is in another country. Since, after the party the pictures were on Facebook or Orkut. Thanks to that, every friend of mine around the world knows what a flop my Zorro costume was.

One guy at a bar wore a sumo wrestler costume. I am not sure how he got there. Probably air-lifted. I was lost so I asked one of the cops for directions. Apparently he was lost too and he wasn't a cop. He was just dressed as one. 

This year I did not have time to get one and by the time I went looking for it. The stores were out of everything. So I went as myself. A loser, that is.

I guess all of us need an occasion to celebrate, so Halloween just stayed. People have fun, so no complaints. I wish we could change it a little bit. Like eliminate the haunted bit. Make your houses look like paradise and dress up like angels. So I can be God next year.

No comments: