Nov 4, 2008

At 2:00 AM, time will go one hour sideways

BRUTALITY FACTOR: Low

There are two very confusing days in a calendar year, according to me. Those would be the two Sundays when we change our clocks for daylight savings.

Last Sunday, I woke up early got all the chores done. When I went into the kitchen and saw microwave clock, I realized I had taken much longer to get them done. Exactly one hour more. Sometime much much later, I checked the time on my laptop and it showed just five minutes more than what I had seen in the microwave. And I thought time was passing by really really slow. Then the obvious struck me.

I didn't get up early as my cellphone went one hour back automatically. My laptop adjusted by itself and my microwave didn't. Now everything was clear. My brother wakes up past sunset, so he didn't even know the time changed. Actually, he still doesn't know. I woke up my parents in the middle of their sleep since I called them, way too early. Too much confusion I say. And to add on top of it, the accidents on Monday morning. People who are a little smarter than my brother realize the time changed only on Monday, and rush to work.

So why do they change the time? For longer days in summer. It seems some William Willett had proposed this great but stupid idea. Either he had gone cuckoo or was drunk when he thought about this. It is a good idea if implemented the other way around. The days are already long in summer so, why would you want to prolong it? Making days longer in winter is better, since the sun sets before it even rises. So winters won't be that bad after all. As in the past winters, I have never seen the sun during the weekdays. Since I am in the office before the sun rises and am out only after it sets.

There is a theory of energy being saved. No it doesn't. If they are switched on much later in the evening, it also means it is switched off much later in the morning. My dad just about when he gets the time calculation correct, it is changed so he is forever trying to guess the right time from India.

In spring you loose an hour. And unfortunately its the weekend. Why couldn't they do it on a Monday morning at precisely 9 am? I am sure nobody would mind that. 

Nowadays everything is changed according to convenience. You want longer days then change the clock. You want Good Friday to be on a Saturday so that you don't have to go to work then change it. Heck, the same is done for birthdays too. The whole essence is lost. The daylight savings also. Go an hour forward today and go backward 6 months later. So in the end it's all even

So how about this one? I want to take a day off tomorrow. And at precisely 2 am tomorrow morning we will move our calendar 28 days back. 

No comments: