For a change I will not insult Toyota Corolla owners, swear at Russians, pull Bush's leg etc in this post. In this dog-eat-dog world, there are still people who are courteous and forgiving. So we don't need to worry about our neighbours suing or stabbing us just for the heck of it.
The other day I wanted to get an oil change and was waiting to merge into a street. The road was about to clear up so I just let the car go forward a little bit. What I forgot was that the Minivan which was ahead of me, was still there. So I hit him. Till now I have been hitting walls, poles, curbs, Russians (Sorry, I couldn't resist), but that day I graduated to hitting another car.
At that point I was calculating how much premiums are going to rise and the mentally disturbed claims that guy is going to claim. But to my surprise he asked if I was doing OK and, told me not to worry about anything since, his car was old and there was no visible damage to both the cars. I was shocked at how nice the guy turned out to be. And I thought to myself, if somebody hits me, I will also try to react in the same way and not try to sue him for some ridiculous claims.
And it did happen. Only this time I wasn't in the car. Me, my brother and my friend were crossing a residential street and a car backed right into us. We jumped and yelled to alert the driver. The girl who was driving the car panicked. Apologized and sped away. Only to see us in the next block. They again apologized and asked if we were okay. I am sure they were glad nothing happened to us and that we didn't create a scene about it.
All this reminds me of a Volkswagen Beetle ad. They show the ad in reverse. It starts with one person opening the door for another. He does so because, another person was courteous to him a second before. The chain follows and ends up with the VW Beetle which lets a person cross the road. So what do we learn from this? It definitely does not mean all Beetle drivers are kind hearted. Beetle drivers are the exact opposite. They would always be driving to the dealer since the cars comes free with electrical problems.
What the ad says is, if you do one good gesture for one person, then that person will in turn do a favor to somebody else. The opposite also happens. You show your middle finger to one person, he will show it to you and everybody else that passes by.
There's nothing more satisfying, than the feeling you get when you help a person. Just like the ad, I feel if we do good deeds there will certainly be a ripple effect and will make our world a better place to live in. So do you want to be the Beetle driver?
No comments:
Post a Comment