Nov 13, 2008

Who's right of way?

BRUTALITY FACTOR: High

About 5 years back I wrote a test to get a learners permit. Since I had the solutions to the questions before, I never did bother about what the rules said. I answered it and, out of 20, 19 were correct. One was wrong because I choose 'a' instead of 'b'. I was almost denied a permit since the question was, if I pulled into a junction and there was a pedestrian, then who has the right of way. I said me and not the pedestrian. The person working said I was wrong. I still think I wasn't.

The stupid law says, bigger vehicles always have to give way for the smaller vehicles. This really boggles my mind. First of all its hard to see something smaller in size. A semi truck will have a hard time in spotting a cyclists in pitch dark, but on the contrary the cyclist cannot miss a semi truck unless he's blind or is a Russian

I really think pedestrians should be more responsible and follow rules themselves. Just because he has the right of way, does not mean he can cross a road where ever he wants or, when the sign says not to. If the cops start ticketing jaywalkers or pedestrians who break laws, it would easily out number the offences committed by motorists. And later when I run them over, it will always be my fault. The question asked would be, why didn't I see him. Well my question is also the same. If the nut case had used the pedestrian crossing this would not have happened. And please, if you are texting, the same rule applies for you. Don't walk while texting or fiddling with your phone/ipod. I have seen people running into poles while doing that.

Consider this. You are driving at 40mph, and a lunatic decides to cross the road. Time taken for me to stop, at least 6 seconds. Distance to stop, at least 40 feet. For the lunatic it would be 1 second and 1 feet. So doesn't it make sense for the pedestrians to give way? Even in a truck and car scenario, it is the same. Cyclists are a big problem since they look down, and not straight. They keep swaying from side to side and are not going to stop. So, just run them down. If you don't somebody else will at the next light.

This law is apparently not applicable to public transport buses. Since they have right of way, they also behave like the  pedestrians. They just pull into the road without even looking. They cover half the road and have a stop every 2 millimeters. They cover your face with soot and run empty most of the time.

All in all no matter what the rules, I think people have to be more sensible when they are out on the roads. Reality is they won't. So till then, I hope we adopt this rule instead. Might is right.

No comments: