BRUTALITY FACTOR: Low
I was happy as hell when I came to know that it was Eid today. And I'm glad we had only 29 days of fasting this year. One less than normal. But it does, make a huge difference.
There's always this confusion whether we'll be fasting 30 or 29 days, and that always puts our plans shaky for those two days. My manager doesn't understand why I won't be coming on Wednesday or Thursday. I have to give an explanation about the moon. And then comes the answer of all the websites, that say when the next moon is going to show up. Yup, that's right. But my Muslim mates won't agree until they see it.
And there are some people (idiots) who follow Saudi Arabia in terms of timings. If the Saudi's celebrate Eid on Tuesday, they celebrate it on the same day here too. That's what they did this time around too. Well lets look at this. If the Saudis see the moon on Monday night, doesn't mean you can see the moon in the US at the same time. Why? Because its Monday morning in the US. Exactly the same reason why both the countries don't see the sun at the same time, and that's why we have different time zones. Its simple. Since these people are idiots (or if they were Russians), I can understand if they don't get it. Well then they should be consistent. Why don't they fast during the night? Then they can be on track with the Saudis. You know why they don't do it? Exactly. Because they are idiots.
On Eid, people can easily consume as much food as a Dinosaur. Thanks to the Bryani, fried fish, chicken, mutton and endless desert. Take an hour break, then again have the same meal. That's not bad since we have to make up for the 29 days of starving. When I go to sleep its nice not to set an alarm to get up at 4. My mouth won't stink anymore.
I had to get up to go for the Eid prayers. All the Mosques are closed and they book big banquet halls for it. For which, I have to pay. If you don't, you get a weird look. I don't mind paying since this is the only time I would be praying. And for some weird reason they were asking everybody to put their footwear in a white plastic bag and leave it outside the room. I am still thinking why.
Well, I refused and just left it out. Now people don't realise that once they are done with prayers, how are they going to know which bag has their shoes. That's what happened after the prayer. People were ripping apart all the plastic bags, thinking it was theirs. My brothers bag was one which was targeted. Hence, his shoes were out now. And when I pointed to his shoes for him. He denied saying he put his, in a bag. Well. He came out an hour later after everybody left, and those shoes were the only one's remaining. He still denied saying somebody stole his pair.
Even in an open shoe rack, I keep staring for an hour to find out my pair of shoes. For the first 15 minutes I keep wondering if I wore my sandals or shoes. The next 15 minutes if its shoes, then which pair it was. Thank god it wasn't black, or else I would have just gone home since all of them are black. Then after scanning row by row (Mind you, at least 20 rows) in the rack for half hour, I would realise I was looking at the wrong shoe rack. I would then go to the next shoe rack and start the whole process again.
Now the Imam (Mosque Head) goes on about how we should continue to pray and not forget about it. It didn't work. The afternoon prayer had only the Imam. Why would anyone show up? They are busy eating Bryani and would be too full to even leave the dining table.
The good thing is that, I can get back to my regular life for now. I'll try to put on the 10 pounds I lost during the last month. Just when I get there, it'll be time for next Ramadan.
Eid Mubarak!
No comments:
Post a Comment