Oct 3, 2008

No Parking except on... Oh No!

BRUTALITY FACTOR: Medium

If there's anything you cant be sure of. Whether you can park your car or not, would top the list. If its a simple "No Parking", every one's okay. The minute they try to include the exceptions in the 2 square inch board, comes the problem.

A couple of years back I was going to park my car in a permit only zone (which I didn't have) since I saw a bunch of parking tickets on cars. Reason? My sixth sense told me that the cop just gave the tickets so, he's not going to come back for now. I came two hours later and realized my sixth sense was wrong. The next day my sixth sense suggested the same and, I was wrong again. 

The day after that, I parked on a metered spot and paid the meter in excess just in case. The sign said "2 hour parking between 8am - 5pm". So I was good. Later that day I couldn't find my car. My friend kept yelling that I was at the wrong intersection. She was right too. But after I did find the right one, I still couldn't locate my car. One, it could have been towed. Or two, it could have been stolen. I was hoping the latter, since I was looking to sell my car anyways. But no, it was the former. And I found out why. The sign also said "except 4pm - 6pm". Now why on earth would they overlap two times, where one is a parking and the other isn't. I blew $175.50 that day on charges which includes the $0.50 I put in the meter.

You might think that the people who write these signs are dumb numb skulls who can't form a proper 10 word sentence. I think otherwise. The govt pays them to make the signs as confusing as possible for people, so they can be towed regardless. They probably get a cut out of the fines collected. It makes sense. All the money generated through parking tickets are pure income for the govt to install more of these confusing parking signs.

"No Parking 11am to 1pm. Street Cleaning. Except vehicles displaying permit 420". Now what will I make out of this? I can park anytime with the permit or, can't park even with the permit at that time or, vehicles can park without permit after 1pm? Confused. Same here. 

And like every person who searches for curbside parking, I hate those fire hydrants. They are at all the vacant spots. The "No standing or No waiting" sign just sounds like Russians wrote it. Whats the difference between standing and waiting again?

So if you see a sign with an except word on it, just drive on because you will get a ticket. Period!

No comments: