BRUTALITY FACTOR: Low
If you walk into my place and want to check if I am home. Just look at the TV. If it's on then I am in the vicinity or else I am not home. It looks like that's the case with most of the people.
We are so dependent on the TV. Switching on the TV is the second thing I do after entering home. First thing being, looking for the remote. Its on from 5 pm till 12 am. And it always seems like the time flies.
Everyday there is some stupid reality show which goes on for at least an hour. Then the same thing is played the next day to see who is going to be kicked out. Then there are the sitcoms which have been repeated so often, I can tell the dialogues before hand. The news doesn't make you feel good, because all they say is how your neighbour was killed by a physcopath. If its winter time in Chicago, the weather will just get worse. So the weather channel is a waste of time.
If you watch Indian Channels, then you'll need to skip sleep to catch up with all the programs. Of all the TV I watch, there is not one useful information I can get out of it. Except to bitch about what I saw on a reality show, later. I think its the same with you too. Reality shows just proves how stupid people can get and, how the show directors can create more drama(in reality).
How many times have you watched Discovery or History Channel? We all do. Only while channel surfing that is. Some shows are really good, no doubt. They get you addicted so much, that even Mr.Caffeine doesn't stand a chance. And there are the sports channels. But I am not a sport buff, so they make as much sense, as a Spanish channel to me.
So lately I decided to do the unthinkable. Switch off the TV. All of a sudden, it seemed silent. Which also seemed peaceful. And now I had 7 hours to do something. Useful. I hit the gym, cleaning which was pending for the past decade, etc.
Its been more than a week now and I don't feel I have missed anything by not watching TV. I am rather productive. So now all the important things that you have to do, comes to you. To pay your bills, follow up on something, catch up with your friends etc.
And now I have become the exact opposite. I feel its a annoyance if the TV is on. I realised I have wasted so much precious time that I could have for something else which I liked doing. If you are interested in cooking, you could try new dishes, you could pursue your hobbies, read a good book, or watch something "informative" on TV.
I do agree we all watch TV to unwind and relax. But is that the only way? I am sure not.
So why don't you try the same? Just switch off the TV for a day and see if it makes a difference.
2 comments:
Whats the suggestion when you dont have a TV like me? Answer is - switch off the damn computer!! (not because i am watching something but sooner or later an email will come for more work :) )
You keep working all the time... so no time to spare at all :)
Post a Comment