Feb 11, 2009

Why Russians, Corolla's and Bush?

I guess by now you would have thought that I am running out of topics to write about. You are right. When one writes about four or five times a week for about four or five months, its hard to come up with new content. Unless scams like Sathyam are uncovered four or times a week. So I'll soon be writing about Shoe laces, Umbrellas, pencils etc. People have often asked me why I hate Corolla's, Bush and Russians so much. I felt I needed to give an explanation.

A car according to me is an extension of one's personality. You can tell a lot a person with his car, even without looking at the person itself. A Mercedes owner is person who exudes class. A BMW owner likes cars. A Jag owner will most likely be a CEO. A Buick owner is a person who is going to die soon. Anyone who drives a Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Mitsubishi have no passion in cars and consider one as a tool to get some thing done.

When I see a Corolla, I almost instantaneously have the urge of burning it down. I mean, look at it. It's the most uninspiring design one can make. They took the Camry, reduced the size of every part by a couple of inches and the Corolla was born. It is so boring, I fall asleep just by the thought of it. I know of a even worse car, the Kia Rio. But since its a disposable car, hence the Corolla is still undefeated. 

Normally when you review something, you tend to compare to something similar to see which is better. In case of the Corolla, I would compare it with a Vacuum cleaner. Both are purpose built, one to to travel and the other to clean. They share a lot of things in common.

No one wants to operate a Vacuum cleaner nor a Corolla. No wants to be seen with both. Both collect a lot dust. Both are trashed around. Both have a similar suspension setup, which is none. Nobody specifically picks a color for both. No matter how much you accelerate, the Corolla will never move just like the Vacuum. Both are made of cheap plastic. Both have good resale values. No owner would 'ever' talk about them.

I have no idea why this car is considered as a luxury car in India. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 feet pole. It looks lame, drives lame and feels lame. The brakes are a joke. I could stop the car more effectively using my feet. Tires have been reused from a mountain bike.

I hope I have justified enough with the Corolla. For Bush, its pretty self explanatory. The Russians? Might be because they are a communist country? I don't know why, but I just hate them!

No comments: