Feb 16, 2009

What did you do on V-day?

Most likely you would have been asked the same question by the time you got to read this post. By around a zillion people. So I choose this topic to be on my cutting board for today. This year around it was more convenient as it was on a weekend. Last year I celebrated V day with my co-workers, thanks to an ever pre-poning dead line. 

Its surprising to see that this day has been celebrated for more than 1700 years back. This is how the story goes. Apparently one bozo emperor in Rome noticed that the bachelor soldiers were better at the job than the married one's. So he banned marriage. Some how this guy reminds me of Saddam Hussain. And the idiot Bush, who killed him because Saddam's cap had a tag inside which said, "Nuclear Weapon".

So a guy called Valentine similar to our Indian movie heroes, secretly got couples married. I guess one of them might have been the emperor's son or daughter or wife. He got caught and was put to death. Now this guy Valentine, while he was in jail fell in love with the Jailer's daughter and sent her the first Valentine card. He did not patent it, so Hallmark is now making billions out of his idea.

To keep the tradition alive women would jot down their names in a paper and put in a big drum. Later men would come and pick out one name, and the girl was his for the year. in most cases they got married. I would love it if someone implemented that lucky draw scheme now. In that case, I could get married before my brother's grand kid does. 

When it comes to Valentines day, you'll find three kinds of people. One who will celebrate, one who won't celebrate and one who can't celebrate V-day. The first type would have pre-planned the whole day since last years Valentine. The second would respond with a "So?", if you asked him his plans. The third one doesn't have anyone to go out with.

I would say I belong to the second type, since I am from the third type. Everyone transitions from the third type to the first and finally settle down with the second once the hype dies. The reasons are many for being the second type. The person is sick of buying gifts, one for "when we first met" anniversary, one for the actual anniversary, one for the birthday and one final V-day gift. To retaliate by saying one does not have to show their love only on V-day is not a good thing as you have to show your love everyday then. With expensive gifts. The problem in couples is that, both belong to different types.

During my college days in India, guys used to show up in green shirts to show they are available to the girls. They on the other hand, wear red. Which means, they are not available. Some how the parents came to know about this discreet message and started grilling their daughters to know who their boyfriends were. 

I thought I'll graduate from type three to a type one this year, but it did not work out. I wanted to ask one girl out, but came to know she had three dates already. For breakfast, lunch and dinner. Who was the girl? Shiv Sena's daughter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like the lucky dra offer.... tell me when ones happening...