Feb 5, 2009

Updated your status on Facebook?

I am almost 99.99% percent sure, that you have an account on Facebook and so do I. If you don't, kudos to you. Facebook celebrated its fifth birthday yesterday. I decided to use this grand occasion to rip apart Facebook. Page by Page. Initially it was used only within Harvard University, but later became popular. As of now, the number of users are over 100 million.

I have never been a Facebook kind of person from the beginning. The only reason I am there is because of my friends. They are there because of their friends. It ultimately comes down to the founders of Facebook. If Facebook has to die, you know who has to. 

I like Orkut better. Though it doesn't look as good as Facebook, it does the job. Lately, they have been trying to copy a lot from Facebook. The picture tagging, the applications, the lack of common sense, etc. Privacy is way better in Orkut. Which is what Facebook is lacking. Completely.

I mean, why the f*** does Facebook, always want to know what I am up to? And there are so many people who keep answering Facebook. My homepage on FB is right now filled with idiotic status updates. Like, "I am bored" (which is why you are on FB), "I am working/busy/studying" (I don't think so), "I am cooking bryani" (send me some), "I am tired/sleepy" (Log off FB and go sleep), etc. Had Osama created an account on FB, we could have caught him. As his status would have been, "Planning a terrorist attack". On second thoughts no, since Bush's status would have been, "Going to catch Obama now".

I use the status update about my latest blog posts. In that way, the whole world will get to know. Letting the whole world know what you are up to is a big headache. It creates a lot of problems. Me and my friends went out of state for a weekend. As rule of thumb, they posted the pictures on FB. Now other people here want to know why they weren't invited. Its FB's fault. Girls are having a big problem with FB too. The shopping expenses have gone through the roof. Why? Because they can't repeat any clothes they wear to parties, even if the people attending it are completely different as the pictures are uploaded for your viewing pleasure.

Why does FB keep showing other people what I write on my friends wall? Its my friends wall, not the entire worlds! If I didn't want that, I could send a message privately. I could also do something else, Email him. If one person A is now friends with a person B. I really am, least bothered about it. 

The applications, oh dear God. New one's are being created at a rate faster than the Indian population. Most of them are quizzes which require you to invite at least 2 million people before you see the results. Then those 2 million are going to curse you for doing that. I have hundreds of pending invites which I have no intention of accepting, or rejecting, or even looking at it. 

Facebook has become a headache for companies. Since all the people are busy finding out what the rest of the world is up to. Some companies have actually banned it. I have two accounts. One exclusively for my co-workers, so that they don't see what I was 'actually' doing last weekend and what I am 'actually' doing at work right now. 

I think at least at this time I should mention something good about FB. I have been thinking really hard to come up with one but, no luck. I have a suggestion though. Just remove the home page.

No comments: