When winter comes by, it is just hard to start wearing a jacket. Firstly, I am not used to wearing one in a long time and secondly I keep forgetting the jacket where ever I remove it. Its even harder to stop wearing a jacket once spring pays a visit. Its like a women's handbag. You have 2 million pockets to keep your keys, gloves, ear muffs, cellphone, cars etc. But also takes an eternity to find something in it.
Till last evening I was sweating like a pig thanks to the jacket. So this morning I decided to retire my jacket for the season. I probably should retire it for good. It is in such a sad state that, a homeless offered me his the other day. There was a slight problem. This morning the temperature dropped to below 40F. I just went ahead without my jacket and boarded the train.
Then the inevitable happened. I sneezed. I have something which I would like to call a sixer sneezing syndrome. Once I start, I won't stop until I sneeze at least six times. After successfully completing my sneezing marathon, I noticed my compartment was almost empty. My guesses are, people ran away thinking I caught the swine flu. This is not surprising at all from a place where people would not touch anything, which could have been used by someone else and, probably use gloves in their own homes.
The media is going crazy with the swine flu awareness. And so are the people with the precautions, by wearing the masks. The streets here now seemed to be filled with surgeons, minus the blue costume. So beware. If you have a running nose, stay home or the surgeons might hack you to death. The flu originated from pigs (If the country was currently run by Bush, he would have blamed Al-Qaida). I hate pigs on the same level as Shiv Sena. Both are of no significance in this world. Pork stinks. The only reason why they still perish is because people eat them. Or else no one would have bothered even if they became extinct.
The swine flu awareness is on a similar scale to the way SARS was, back in 2003. It was a major problem in Asia than here in the US. All Chinese restaurant's tables were collecting dust. People were avoiding them like George Bush. Though till date less than 800 people died of SARS. Out of that only 10 were from the US. I would say SARS wasn't a problem at all. Taking into account that AIDS has killed over 25 million people.
The Swine flu originated in Mexico and the Government is advising people not to travel there. If their concern is to avoid spreading of the disease, they should probably increase the security around the US -Mexico border. The border has probably more passengers than the airlines flying in and out of the country. The Government is taking precautions probably just to avoid lawsuits. They are doing their job but the people are being over reactive. I wouldn't be surprised if girls were OK without condoms but, not OK if the guy coughs or sneezes.
Everyone should take the chill pill and not start writing out their will. So far the swine flu has claimed around 100 lives. Which is still less than the number of people killed in Indian road accidents in about 12 hours!
No comments:
Post a Comment