April 1st is one day when I try to stay low. I don't want to talk to people neither do I want them to talk to me. As I know whats coming. A prank and I fall for it. Period. Even though I keep reminding myself that it is the 1st of April and to remain cautious. It never works. Once a person starts talking to me, I forget about it. I was hoping Shiv "Rat" Sena would come up with some anti April Fool scheme. Looks like he was still busy trying to get all the couples married who celebrated V-day.
There is nothing concrete about how this whole trend started. Some say that some King Charles the ninth or whatever decided he didn't like April for some reason, and changed new years from April 1st to Jan 1st. People who were still following the old tradition were called April Fools.
Another theory is that the trend started because the Iranians played jokes on each other to celebrate the Persian New Year on April 1st as early as 536 BC. Reason being they wanted to start the New Year with Joy and laughter. That is a nice thought. As our tradition today is to drink as much as much possible and puke or hopefully die before the end of Jan 1st. Going back, I feel there is another reason for April Fools day. George Bush was born on April 1st and he got it changed to July 6th to avoid proving the obvious.
This year around I was fooled 30 minutes after I woke up. No I didn't talk to anybody. I was just browsing and the news websites were playing pranks on people. First was one that said Rajnikanth and Kamal were going to act together in a movie. Fell for that. Another said Rahman signed a contract with Motorola for $5 million. He was already with Nokia. I fell for that too.
In the train the ticket conductor said my ticket was invalid. I laughed at him. I wasn't going to fall thrice in less than an hour. He became serious and repeated his statement. I responded saying its April 1st. He said that's the reason and pointed to my ticket which was valid only for the month of March. There I was fooled again even without falling for anything.
I was planning to chill out at work since my boss said he going take off. Yes, he decided to show up. My brother didn't pick up my calls, thinking I was trying to fool him about something. I normally don't try fooling people, not because I don't want to but because I can't. Every time I try, they say "Good try, hopefully next time".
What I don't understand is the way people try to fool others? I mean if one person tells the other that he got engaged/promotion etc, the other person will obviously believe it. There is no way of being assured since the person himself is telling you. Its a really really stupid way of fooling people I say. I tried this stupidity once myself and told my friend I was dying. He said who cares.
Google fooled me too. They claimed they released a new tool that would auto respond to all our emails. Reading that made me wonder how on earth would google know what I want to say. It would really be funny when your boss comes and tells you that we have a April Fools project coming up in the company. Google has done this ever year.
At one point you don't know whats true and whats false. YouTube turned its links upside down and suggested users can hang the monitors upside down to be compatible with the New layout. BMW had its own prank. But Toyota has been fooling people all year around with the Corolla, saying its a car.
No comments:
Post a Comment