Apr 24, 2009

Someone stole your Lunch?

Since the school days (I am referring to the school where we study Kinder Garden through 12th grade, not the one where we do our Bachelors & Masters) everyone has been taking lunches with them. Main reason being, to eat healthier home cooked food than the trash sold in the canteen. Another reason was to save money. Now that I come to think of it, I think saving money could have been the main reason.

The lunch baskets I carried were ridiculous. They were made out of plastic and right after the day you bought it, the handle would snap off. They were cheap just like Corolla's. The boxes were more often main of stainless steel and some kids used to carry carriers which had a million levels in it. To top it off was a water container which more often was a cooler type. And it always always leaked. When the time comes to drink some, there would be none.

Now that all of us are working, a few carried over the tradition. I would be one of them. One reason is to save money. Having lunch out everyday does eat in to one's expenses. I have been working for over 4 years. Doing the math, that means 960 workday lunches (240 per year). A decent lunch would cost $5. That equals $4800. Technically by taking lunch with me I have saved over $4800. But my bank account has not even half that figure. In other words I would have probably had to file for bankruptcy by now, if I had been eating out.

The main reason for me to not eat out is, because I am just too lazy to get up, walk, stand in line, buy food, eat, walk back and sit down. Easier would be, to just whip out the container in my bag and eat. All, while I haven't even moved from my chair. Thanks to the recession even our CEO gets his lunch from his mistresses place. This means every cubic inch of the fridge's in our office are stuffed with food. I wouldn't be surprised if some tossed out stuff, just to keep theirs in the fridge.

Some folks are trying to save more money by making use of the stuffed fridge. Stealing in other words. There are different levels. Some take juices, packaged fruits, yogurts etc. And a few of them tend to replace it the next day. I appreciate the thought. Then there are people who just look at some delicious food and decide to make it theirs. Now that's just bad. They have proved that they are worse than Russians. On second thoughts, no one can beat them.

Imagine the plight of the person who is ready to have lunch and realizes someone stole it. I would be pissed. Very pissed. In fact I heard of a person who got so aggravated and once put some laxatives in her food. As expected it was flicked. Next thing she knew, one of her colleagues called in sick for three days in a row. She got her man. That might be a bit brutal, but one things for sure. He'll never take anyone else's food, even if they offered it to him.

Another story I heard of was from a man who admitted stealing food, and continuous to do so even now. First thing in the morning, this guy goes, scans the fridge and chooses his pick for the day. And he wasn't one bit bothered about being caught, since he was the boss himself.

Once we had one of our off-shore guys at our office for about a month. He mentioned to me that he loved this office, for the fact that they offered free food. I had been working there for over a year and didn't know such a thing exists. Then the obvious struck me. 

I was a victim too. Someone kept taking my cream cheese. Chunks of it, like it was provided by the company. After a couple of times, I hid it in the fridge. Even that didn't work out. I used the brain that I had been given and put a fake lizard in it, to scare the hell out of him. And it did work. On me that is. I had totally forgot I had put the fake lizard in it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

im confused. how does a story get a rating of 4.31 when one can only vote in integers?

J said...

Its the average of all the ratings received so far, for that story.