This morning I saw an article which was about the ten most lethal driving mistakes one can make. And had a question, "Which ones do you make?", beside it. I have been driving for over 10 years now and was sure that I wasn't part of the idiots who do.
First was swearing. Well that's the first thing I did this morning when I hit my neighbors garbage can on 'his' driveway. I blame it on my rear view mirror. How much can one see in a 2 x 6" mirror? Second was, driving while drowsy. I did that this morning too. That's the case every morning when I go to work. I wake up, get ready, drive half asleep to work, then sleep in the train, walk to my office and continue sleeping there.
Next is drinking and driving. I don't drink and this would be a part of the second one as driving with one's eyes closed is more fatal than driving while being intoxicated. Coming next is over correcting. Yes, done that this morning too. When one is sleep driving, the car is normally heading towards the wrong side of the road. Over correcting is the only option.
Fifth is speeding. Which I have to do all the time. Speed limits are for school buses and Corolla's. They can't handle anything more. If speeding was a serious issue, the Government would have capped all the vehicles capability to 60mph. Sixth is not yielding. Broke that too. If one has to yield for another person, it means he is not acting fast enough and would be fine waiting for a bit more.
Next is reckless driving. When I do all of the above, it is indeed reckless for Police authorities. Next in line is running red lights. I have done that too. Every time the light changes from green to amber, I am always under pressure whether I will be able to make it or not. Slowing and accelerating in the process. Eventually I decide that I can make it and speed up. And as always I am wrong. Talking on phone, eating are the rest which, I am sure all of us are guilty of doing. In the end it looks like my license needs to be revoked.
But there is one more annoying habit. Parking. Some people cannot park. Period. Given them a cycle and tell them to park it in a foot ball field. They would still mess up. I know a person who has been driving for over 20 years but still cannot park a car straight. This is a big problem in parking lots. I have to climb through the sunroof at times to get out.
Last weekend I was in a parking lot of a chain store. I did find a spot next to a big SUV. It wasn't until I hit something, that I realized that there was a penny sized car beside it. Almost hidden. I say, its their fault for parking the car all the way in, where it cannot be seen.
I spotted a couple walking towards the parking so I followed them to take their spot. As usual like every person they realized that their car was in the next lane and walked over there, while I was behind them looking like an idiot. Then there was another idiot who stole my parking spot. He parked in the spot I had been waiting for, and walks away like nothing happened. Obama should make it legal to run over such people.
And about two decades later I gave up and parked at a spot far away. Only to come later and find a parking ticket on it. It was a no-parking zone.
2 comments:
adra sakka adra sakka.... i dint know that you were a reckless driver...very bad be responsible dude...... i do remember you driving with ur headlights on all the time.. he he.. if a astra is running with headlights in broad daylight in chennai, it was your car... lolllll
haha... i'll try... yeah I remember that.... i sent one person to coma.. didnt want another one :)
Post a Comment