Drew Carey, Seinfeld, George Lopez, King of Queens, Home Improvement and a ton of other sitcoms, which my brain can't seem to fetch from its hard drive, have one thing in common. All of them feature a once-upon-a-time stand-up comedian in a lead role.
Stand-up comedy started in the 1950's. Its a rather independent career. They don't need a co-actor to put up their act. I guess the first stand-up would have started when all the actors didn't show up, except one. And he decided to take it on by himself. It's not easy as the whole performance depends on the mood of the audience. If they faced a rough weather to get to the venue, then he better have some really good one-liners. Whereas, if the audience is full up people with the IQ level of Bush, then anything he says can make them laugh.
Recently I had been to one which featured Russel Peters. Yes, the CBCD comedy king. As Chicago has a good number of Desi's, all the shows were sold out. I was surprised to see a few outsiders, aka Americans. At $50 a pop, I was expecting something good. And the venue required that we ordered at least two items per head. Now, I was hoping that the food better be good.
The show was supposed to start after 10pm. But we had to be there at least an hour before, to get good seats. Which meant FAR away from where Russel could pick on us. This is what I don't get in this country. Why is it so damn hard to allot seat numbers? In a country so organized, where even I can figure out directions. I mean what is point paying $50 bucks, and stand in line for close to two hours for a show which lasts just over an hour?
It was too late to start a "Give us Seat Numbers" revolution, so I just joined the heard. A couple ahead of us in the line decided to sit down on the floor. I for some reason thought that they decided to leave, and moved ahead to close the gap. Which means I stepped on them. I am sorry, but my vision is solely limited to what I can see through my spectacles. Anything around it, is just a blur. They stood up realising its not worth the risk, with blind people around.
Once the line started moving the same couple ahead of us got very very very excited. Because they kissed at least quarter of million times before they disappeared to their seats, to continue their kissing expedition. My guess is that the girl is head-over-heels for Russel and, so was the guy.
Firstly the stool on the stage, has never ever been used for sitting. Its just to hold the comedians water bottle. Which they seem drink out of every alternate minute. The water bottle has become attached to comedians. If you see a person holding a water bottle, there are good chances that he is a comedian or is aspiring to be one.
The first comedian was good, but the second wasn't that great. One of the reason was no one understood his accent. I thought he was speaking in Chinese for sometime. Most of the comedians tend to use a lot of profanity, gross jokes if they don't have good material. Somehow they think using f*** as every alternate word is funny. The Gross jokes weren't coming at a good time, especially when every one in the audience was hogging down the food.
I happened to know one person among the audience who was sitting in the first row, and Russel happened to pick on that person. Now this is a sort of person whom even God would think twice to argue with. Russel said he had seen cows in Calcutta, but that person denied that. At one point Russel almost picked up his water bottle and left.
Eventually the argument ended because that person passed out. The show was good except that our waitress forgot to get my food.
No comments:
Post a Comment