I would very much like to prove that my Project Manager's brain is screwed in wrong to everyone today, but decided that wouldn't help fixing it. Just like straightening a dog's tail. I think the later stands a better chance. So instead, I decided to get the Daylight savings to my slice and dice board. I had a feeling I have already written about this, but can't seem to locate the post. If so, you can read it once more.
Until I moved to this fat country, I never knew what this daylight savings is all about. I mean why in the world would I think, that one needs to change his time twice a year? In India the sun rises and sets pretty much at the same time, which is according to me is quite normal. I was alarmed when my roommate here told me that we had to change our times and we'd be loosing an hour. That had screwed up my entire plan for the day. Which was to watch the entire first season of 24, in 24 hours. And now, I was an hour short.
That plan didn't quite work out as I fell asleep in about 24 minutes. This whole concept was started in 1907 by a jobless builder called William whatever. All his buildings probably collapsed, so he wasn't left with much to do. And he decided to promote his so called Daylight savings strategy. Sadly, the whole of northern hemisphere decided to abide by it.
According to J Williams (J for jobless), it extends the daylight into the afternoon and hence saves energy. How? because people would turn on the lights much later. I think Williams was drunk from the previous nights party as he forgot that people will have to switch on the lights much earlier, eating up the benefit, if any. He also claimed that it would reduce traffic fatalities as people would have more daylight to drive in the afternoon. Again, he was drunk and same flaw. Besides a recent survey (I hate them, but I am a hypocrite) proved that day light savings increased energy consumption.
People are usually advised to be more cautious while driving on the Monday following the weekend during when the change of time is adopted. As most of them realize that the time had changed only after their bosses call asking them why they aren't in the office yet. Or because they are driving at the time when they normally sleep.
My car has a simple audio system but a rather mind numbing way to change the setting. The time in the clock is a pain to change. Only 3 weeks back, I figured how to change it and set to the correct daylight savings time, and now I have to change it again. I guess I am just going to leave it as it is. It will be on track end of October.
Till 2007 the week during which the daylight savings would be adopted wasn't changed. But our buddy Bush was jobless. Like a typical Bollywood fanfare, the son decided to take on dad's enemy which was Saddam Hussein. So he attacked Iraq to kill time. After he was done with that, he did not what to do, so he changed the time frame of when daylight savings was to be adopted. This messed up everybodies schedule even more. Now no one has no clue, till they miss their trains and flights.
Last morning the time was changed again. Which I had no clue of. This time it was a little more catastrophic. I missed the time frame to validate our latest production release!
1 comment:
Tell me about screwed up project managers!!
Post a Comment