Sep 24, 2008

Busy?

BRUTALITY FACTOR: Low

Every time I call someone or someone calls me, this is asked right after saying "Hello". Around half the time, the answer is yes. Really, are all of us that busy?

Unless I am Obama or McCain at this point of time, I am not. Even if we are at work, we are not that busy as we think. You can disagree, if you don't have time to check Email, news, stocks or surf while you are at work. We think we have very busy lives and don't have a minute to spare.

Let's see. I have time to chit-chat at work, watch TV, read, stare at the wall, clean (twice) at home, etc. I think, I or in fact, we have all the time in the world. We claim we are busy watching a movie or a TV show. Is it that important? Is the question. I haven't met with some of my friends in a long time, even though we live in the same city. Its not that we are busy. We just have priorities.

I think the movie is my priority, when I get a phone call. When I return the phone call, I hang up right away since the second person calling me has a higher priority. I check my email at work, since works not my priority anymore. I think I'd rather stay at home and stare at the wall than, go to my friends place. Now it all seems to make sense.  

Apart from this, sometimes we do get really busy. We tend to get so involved in work and the other materialistic things, that we just forget something. Living. Work weekdays, weekends because you want that promotion or the bonus. We have such a fast life. We don't realise months or years passing by. When was the last time, we enjoyed the light breeze that blows outside? Just get wet in the rain without worrying about falling sick (we react like rain water is an acid)? Just drive because you wanted to? Planned an event spontaneously? Sit and have breakfast in the morning?

Answer? Don't remember. We are racing against life for more money, career growth, etc. We might be satisfied once we are the CEO of the company. But now, we aim for a bigger company. By then, it will be too late to enjoy what you have. Your kids would have left for college and wife would be too old. Everyone wants to buy a bigger house, a better car. Whats the point, buying a 7 BR mansion, when you only spend nights there? Whats the point of buying a Ferrari, when you think about work while driving it? 

We should stop, take a break and enjoy what we have. Our company won't shut down, if we take a day off. And it definitely did not do you a favor, by hiring you. If there was someone better, they would have taken him. Its a deal. You do the work, they pay you. So work is not the only thing in life. We should nourish our relationships with our family, and friends. They will be there during an economic downturn, not our company. Take a walk during your lunch break. Nothing is going to happen in ten minutes. In fact, you'll be refreshed and you can get things done sooner. Enjoy your favorite song on the way to work.

When we improve our quality of life, we improve quality of lives around us. Your work is more enjoyable. We should spend time on doing, what we love doing. There is never an answer of no time. We just have to make the time. And that is what we can't afford to waste. Investment you make in your life, is the best investment you can ever make.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The best blog you've written so far - head and shoulders above the rest. Love every word of it and trying to practice every word of it.

"Live today with what you have and not for tomorrow with what you want to have!!!"

J said...

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Loved it! We are all so busy trying to scarifice everything to do well at work that we dont realize how time flies by and what we have missed in the process.

J said...

Thanks :). I guess its better late than never.

Anonymous said...

Will call you tonight ---